Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Repug County Councilman Dunn Must Have Been Trained By "No Promise Too Good That I Can't Break It" George Nethercutt!

Disgracing "honor" a Dunn deal
Nicole Brodeur

Reagan Dunn is showing his age: He's what, 6 years old?

How else to explain the antics of this political child who said he would "personally ... honor" the decision of the King County Republican Party on who should be entered in the fall primary? Dunn, 34, a Metropolitan King County councilman from Bellevue, lost the GOP nomination for the 9th District seat Saturday to fellow Councilman Steve Hammond, R-Enumclaw, 234-209. In no time, Dunn ditched his pledge to "personally plan to honor the process."

"I can't abandon this campaign because of 24 votes in June." (Actually, it was a 25-vote margin, but whatever.)

Yesterday, Dunn told me of a caveat I didn't know about: "I said I would honor the process if my opponent adheres to the 11th commandment," which is not to speak ill of another candidate in your party.

And Hammond did that?

Oh, grow up.

But there's more. Dunn said it ain't over till the fat lady — rather, the federal judge — sings.

U.S. District Judge Thomas Zilly will hear arguments July 13 on a GOP lawsuit seeking to have the so-called "top two" primary tossed out.

If that happens, Dunn and his 47 percent of his party are on the ballot.

"Look at it through my eyes," Dunn urged me. "I have been working on this for six months, on the phone four hours a day."

Well, look at it through a voter's eyes, Reagan. "Personally." "Honor." Those words mean a lot when it comes to who gets our votes.

I am far from endorsing Hammond, 51, a former preacher whose views on things like abortion are as easy for me to swallow as cod-liver oil with a Robitussin chaser.

But if I were a card-carrying member of the GOP, I'd have a problem with a political hopeful who turns on his word before he's even elected to office.

While some see Dunn's defeat Saturday as evidence of the country Republicans beating the country-club Republicans, I see it as a short course on Dunn.

He seemingly was born with a silver elephant in his mouth. The son of former U.S. Rep. Jennifer Dunn, he was named for Republican icon and former President Ronald Reagan. He was appointed to the County Council in February.

His donor list looks like a GOP "Circus of the Stars": Former U.S. Sen. Slade Gorton, KVI-AM (570) talk-show host John Carlson. McCaws. Skip Rowley. You get the picture.

While Hammond has raised $24,000, Dunn has raked in $167,000.

"Don't you think I owe it to my supporters to wait and see what the court process turns out to be?" Dunn asked.

Perhaps. But I think he owes it to the system as it stands now to follow the rules, honor his own word and live by the vote of his party.

If your mother taught you grace, I told him, you would support Hammond like a grown man.

"You may see grace," Dunn said. "But I want to wait four weeks."

Nicole Brodeur's column appears Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Reach her at 206-464-2334 or nbrodeur@seattletimes.com.

She runs with scissors.


Copyright © 2005 The Seattle Times Company

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home